St. John’s, Dunsford
Rector’s Warden- Jeff Thurston
People’s Warden-Barry Baxter
Deputy Warden-Keith Thurston
Recent years have seen modest growth for the small congregation, which combines young families and retirees in a friendly mix. Communion is celebrated on the second and fourth Sundays while lay readers lead morning prayer most of the year on first and third Sundays. Goldie Bryan, also the organist at Christ Church, provides musical leadership.
There is an active Sunday school led by experienced teachers. The children leave during the second hymn of the service and return for communion, or at the end of the morning prayer service. The annual Christmas pageant is an extravaganza including children visiting grandparents, and regular Sunday school members.
This fall three “graduates” of Sunday School will be confirmed by Bishop Linda Nicholls on Oct. 25 at a special service of confirmation and communion at St. John’s.
Like many rural parishes the church puts on a spring ham supper, served in three sittings in the parish hall, and a fall pork supper in the much larger community centre. A summer yard and pie sale, and fall Christmas treasures sale help to build community and raise funds for the upkeep of the church.
This past year we joined in a Good Friday worship with Dunsford United Church.
St. John’s hosts fellow parish members from Bobcaygeon and Burnt River at a special Harvest Thanksgiving service at the end of September. Members of St. John’s are always invited to join in activities at nearby Christ Church, including special services, quilting, Bible studies and church suppers.
St. John’s was built in 1859 on an acre of land deeded to the church. It has served the Dunsford area ever since, with the addition of a parish hall donated by St. Barnabas Peterborough in the early 1960’s. The current brick church replaced the old wooden church in 1982.