St. Luke’s, Burnt River
Rector’s Warden- Joanne Flint
People’s Warden-Carol Small Morris
Lay Reader – Larry Barker Synod Lay Delegate- David Tang
Service Music is provided by a variety of parish and community musicians. Guest soloists and musicians including music groups are regularly welcomed and invited to participate.
St. Luke’s offers regular Sunday worship at 9:00 am from May 24th weekend to Thanksgiving, with a special service on Easter Day and a Christmas Carol service in December. For the remaining months the building is closed due to higher heating and operating costs in the winter. During the months St. Luke’s is closed, people are encouraged to attend Sunday services in our sister Anglican parish churches, Christ Church, Bobcaygeon or St. John’s, Dunsford. Each year the congregation of year round residents is bolstered by Anglican cottagers from nearby Four Mile Lake. A Monday morning 11 am prayer group open to the entire community is led by Bob and Carol Morris in the meeting room at St. Luke’s during the summer.
St. Luke’s is a friendly small congregation where everyone helps out and participates. The members of St. Luke’s get involved in helping with many annual community events often held locally.
St. Luke’s hosts a joint parish and community service which includes members of Christ Anglican Church, Bobcaygeon, St. John’s Anglican Church, Dunsford and the Burnt River United Church in an annual summer Sunday service in July at the Burnt River Community Centre followed by lunch.
A special Christmas event is an evening lessons and carols service in December. Special services between Christmas and Easter can be held at the call of the priest in charge and wardens.
St. Luke’s, Burnt River’s history dates back to 1896 when Robert Machonachie, a lay reader from the Church of England moved to the area and was licensed by the Bishop of Toronto to work in the Burnt River area. Until then Anglicans in the Burnt River area had been worshipping at Fenelon Falls, a considerable journey in those times. With Machonachie, they started worshipping first in the local Orange hall, then in St. Luke’s which opened and dedicated its new building in 1904.
In 1906 St. Luke’s became part of the parish of Kinmount, Burnt River and Irondale. Later in the 40’s St. Luke’s was attached to Fenelon Falls then back to Kinmount. In 1962 , St. Luke’s joined in the current three point parish. Since 1967 there have been several building projects which have seen restoration of the worship space, a new entrance, and the addition of a Sunday School classroom and refurbished bell tower.